Reynolds Libraries are a member of VIVA, the Virtual Library of Virginia. This crucial partnership allows Reynolds to purchase high-quality digital resources at a discount, in partnership with other colleges and universities in the state.
Reynolds Libraries was featured by VIVA in September 2017.
An interview with Hong Wu, Director of Library Services
What are three points of pride in your library?
- Team Library! Our library staff members really care, work hard and reflect the diversity of our student body.
- Students. A library isn’t a library without users! Reynolds students come from all over the world and have varied educational goals. Our students also have many challenges, including speaking English as a second language, working (many full-time), caregiving for loved ones, and returning to work after a career change or military service. Reynolds Community college is the place to get a start or a second chance.
- One library, multiple flavors. Our campus libraries reflect their programs and locations. Downtown is Reynolds most urban campus, hosts the most popular laptop checkout program, and offers an amazing cookbook collection (thanks to the culinary program!) Goochland is our rural campus and features a robust horticultural print collection, which is included in the Council of Botanical and Horticultural Libraries. Goochland also houses Reynolds seed library. Parham is Reynolds most suburban campus, and offers students a large, light-filled space with plenty of desktop computers, multiple group study rooms. Parham is home to multiple special collections, including the Paralegal and ESL collection. Reynolds Libraries digital side-our library without walls—reaches distance students around the commonwealth, thanks in part to our VIVA membership. Remote access, eBooks and databases make location no barrier to education.
What is the most popular spot in the library for users?
- At all three campuses the group study rooms are incredibly popular. Students use them for both group and individual study, and they are always in use. We had over 13,000 students use the group study rooms in 2016-17.
Which VIVA resource or service do we value the most, and why?
- The EBSCOHost collection is essential. Our partnership with VIVA makes it possible for us to provide this high-quality resource for our students, a resource that they will continue to use after they transfer to a four-year university.
Want to see more beautiful libraries? Check out all of the member profiles on the VIVA site.