Reynolds Libraries has a new and improved online catalog! The new catalog can be accessed by conducting a search in the main search box on the library website, or you can access it directly with the following URL: https://vcc-srl-primo.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/primo-explore/search?vid=JSRCC
If you previously bookmarked the old catalog link, please make sure you update it to the new link.
There are a couple things to note at this time:
- Database articles and electronic resources are currently being added to the system so in the meantime you will be better off searching individual databases by going to the A-Z databases page.
- There will be forthcoming customizations made to the look of the interface (color schemes, logos, images, etc.) so thank you for your patience as we continue to enhance the look and feel!
As with the old catalog, you can use the “My Account” feature to renew items, check the status of current checkouts, and place requests.
In the upper right side of the page, click “Guest”:
then click on “SIGN IN” (you will then be taken to the MyReynolds login page; once logged in, you will be taken to your account)
We will continue to make updates and announcements regarding the new catalog and hope that you will enjoy the improved catalog!
This summer, PBS is on a quest to find out what novel is America’s favorite. They’ve surveyed Americans of all ages, races, genders, and backgrounds, and put together a list of our 100 favorite books for The Great American Read. You can vote for your favorite at PBS.org.
Meanwhile, at Reynolds libraries, we’ve selected 52 titles from PBS’ list and we’re putting it to a vote! Drop by at any of our campus locations, find the white board, and vote for your favorites. There will be new books to vote on almost every day! We’re calling it The Great Reynolds Read. Stop by today to help us decide!
Sometimes an off-campus student clicks on a library database and receives an error message.
Don’t panic! This is a known issue with a simple workaround.
Some students are not authenticated for the databases on our network, even though they are correctly and currently enrolled. BUT if a student logs in to the main Virginia Community College Portal one time, they will be recognized and will be able to login to MyReynolds as usual, and every time afterwards.
So…here’s the fix.
While off campus, navigate to the main portal for Virginia’s Community Colleges.
Then login with the MyReynolds username and password.
Once this is complete, students should be recognized when clicking on the library databases…and be able to access them as usual.
Hope this helps! If there are issues, please contact any of the campus libraries for help.
Need help with starting your research or citing resources for a research assignment? Then register to attend to our free library research workshops being held at both the Downtown and Parham Road campuses. The workshops we have scheduled for this summer semester include:
- Research the Smart Way: Getting too many results with that Google search? Need to get a research paper done and not sure how? Learn how to research the smart way with the Reynolds Librarians. We’ve got everything you need to get started. Here’s what we’ll cover: Creating topic ideas; introduce the library catalog and databases as well as search strategies; how to access databases from home; learn the differences between Google and the library.
- Cite it Right: APA and MLA: Not sure what MLA or APA citation styles are? Need to know how to do cite properly? Let the Reynolds Librarians help you get on the right path! Here’s what we’ll cover: Learn what a citation is and how to identify its parts; how to cite a variety of print and online sources in APA and MLA style using citation tools.
Ask your instructor/s if you can receive extra credit for attending these workshops. Looking forward to seeing you at our workshops!
Image: “The Research Process” by Kim Louie, Lumen Learning is licensed under CC BY 4.0
This past week all three Reynolds campus libraries were bursting with student projects! A showcase of student work from many disciplines was on display proving that Reynolds students are inquisitive & creative when it comes to turning out projects. 256 students from 29 courses provided the dazzling array of works.
Almost 500 of event-attendees voted on the “People’s Choice” or best in show to crown the following winners:
You can view pictures of the events at the following links:
Here are some of the comments from student participants:
“Participating in the student expo was a great tool to allow me to actively involve myself in an education based event.”
“The student expo is really cool and made me more interested in the course”
“It encouraged me to apply myself more.”
“It gives you a sense of pride to have a piece displayed to a public audience.”
“I had to make sure my assignment was the best it could be because it was being presented to many people”
“Knowing that it would be displayed to the public provided extra incentive to make an attractive prototype.”
“This is the best program EVER.”
Special Thanks go out to all of the faculty who donated projects to the Library for this event:
The Student Expo proved once again that Reynolds students churn out amazing projects as part of their coursework. Thank you for letting us catch a glimpse into what it is that you, our students, are studying and thinking about!
The Reynolds Libraries are pleased to present our fourth annual Student Expo! The Expo is a showcase of student work across our academic programs. Student work(s) must be entered by faculty. Students and faculty/staff are encouraged to attend.
The Expo will be held from 12-2pm at all three campuses and food will be served.
- Tuesday, April 17th: Downtown Library, Room 230
- Wednesday, April 18th: Goochland Library, Room 200
- Thursday, April 19th: Parham Road Library, Massey LTC
Check out the Reynolds Student Expo 2017 to view the dazzling exhibits by our students across many different curriculums from last year.
There will be a People’s Choice winner at each campus expo. We look forward to seeing all the great exhibits!