“The great thing about revisionist history is you have the freedom to go back and correct these misconceptions about the past, as long as you’re doing it in a scholarly and authentic and well-researched sort of way.”
– Candace Gibson Stuff You Missed in History Class – Did the Chinese Reach America Before Columbus?
Happy Columbus Day everyone!
In honor of this (sometimes polarizing) holiday, let’s all take a moment to go back and see if what we learned about Columbus’ ‘discovery’ in elementary school still holds true today.
Lucky for us, the folks at the “Stuff You Missed in History Class” podcast have done some of the work for us already. Take a listen to this short episode, where they discuss Gavin Menzies book 1421: The Year China Discovered America? and whether or not Menzies theory holds water.
Inspired to do your own investigation after listening to the podcast? You’re in luck! We’ve got the book and its sequel – Who Discovered America? – right here in our collection!
Today is February, Friday the 13th, but triskaidekaphobia (fear of the number thirteen) is the least of your worries, because tomorrow is Valentine’s Day, and you’re completely out of ideas!
Why don’t you let the library help plan your romantic weekend?
1. Take a look at this Thursday’s Richmond Times-Dispatch on the library’s periodicals shelf. Every Thursday, there’s a weekend insert that gives you the skinny on all the great events going on in the Richmond area over the weekend! Check out info on concerts, theater tickets, and special events. Maybe there’s something perfect happening right around the corner to surprise your sweetie with.
2. Come to the library early to get all of your studying done in time for your big date. If you need a quiet space, you can always check in to a study room for maximum concentration.
3. Pick up a romantic movie! We’ve got plenty of DVDs ready to be checked out that will be great to cuddle up with on this cold weekend.
5. Brush up on your date’s favorite hobby, interest, or pastime so you can impress them with your dedication to learn more about the things they love. Stop by the reference desk and a librarian will help you find exactly what you need.