This past week all three Reynolds campus libraries were bursting with student projects! A showcase of student work from many disciplines was on display proving that Reynolds students are inquisitive & creative when it comes to turning out projects. 256 students from 29 courses provided the dazzling array of works.
Almost 500 of event-attendees voted on the “People’s Choice” or best in show to crown the following winners:
You can view pictures of the events at the following links:
Here are some of the comments from student participants:
“Participating in the student expo was a great tool to allow me to actively involve myself in an education based event.”
“The student expo is really cool and made me more interested in the course”
“It encouraged me to apply myself more.”
“It gives you a sense of pride to have a piece displayed to a public audience.”
“I had to make sure my assignment was the best it could be because it was being presented to many people”
“Knowing that it would be displayed to the public provided extra incentive to make an attractive prototype.”
“This is the best program EVER.”
Special Thanks go out to all of the faculty who donated projects to the Library for this event:
The Student Expo proved once again that Reynolds students churn out amazing projects as part of their coursework. Thank you for letting us catch a glimpse into what it is that you, our students, are studying and thinking about!
The Reynolds Libraries are pleased to present our fourth annual Student Expo! The Expo is a showcase of student work across our academic programs. Student work(s) must be entered by faculty. Students and faculty/staff are encouraged to attend.
The Expo will be held from 12-2pm at all three campuses and food will be served.
- Tuesday, April 17th: Downtown Library, Room 230
- Wednesday, April 18th: Goochland Library, Room 200
- Thursday, April 19th: Parham Road Library, Massey LTC
Check out the Reynolds Student Expo 2017 to view the dazzling exhibits by our students across many different curriculums from last year.
There will be a People’s Choice winner at each campus expo. We look forward to seeing all the great exhibits!
Don’t forget that Reynolds Libraries can assist you with citing sources for your research assignments in the following ways:
For additional information, contact Reynolds Libraries
April 2nd is International Fact-Checking Day. Check out the resources below. You can also participate in the global conversation on Twitter by following:
@factchecknet, #FactcheckingDay and #FactCheckIt
To help you prepare for final exams, Reynolds Library will extend its hours of operation during the last weeks of the semester at the Parham and Downtown campuses.
Our extended schedule will be as follows:
7:45 am – 10:00 pm Monday, December 4th – Thursday, December 7th
7:45 am – 5:00 pm Friday, December 8th
8:00 am – 2:00 pm Saturday, December 9th (Downtown Library only)
10:00 am – 4: 00 pm Saturday, December 9th (Parham Library only)
7:45 am – 10:00 pm Monday, December 11th – Thursday, December 14th
7:45 am – 5:00 pm Friday, December 15th
We hope the extended hours will provide you a safe and comfortable learning environment and to offer you the research assistance you need for your final exams and papers.
Reynolds Libraries are a member of VIVA, the Virtual Library of Virginia. This crucial partnership allows Reynolds to purchase high-quality digital resources at a discount, in partnership with other colleges and universities in the state.
Reynolds Libraries was featured by VIVA in September 2017.
An interview with Hong Wu, Director of Library Services
What are three points of pride in your library?
- Team Library! Our library staff members really care, work hard and reflect the diversity of our student body.
- Students. A library isn’t a library without users! Reynolds students come from all over the world and have varied educational goals. Our students also have many challenges, including speaking English as a second language, working (many full-time), caregiving for loved ones, and returning to work after a career change or military service. Reynolds Community college is the place to get a start or a second chance.
- One library, multiple flavors. Our campus libraries reflect their programs and locations. Downtown is Reynolds most urban campus, hosts the most popular laptop checkout program, and offers an amazing cookbook collection (thanks to the culinary program!) Goochland is our rural campus and features a robust horticultural print collection, which is included in the Council of Botanical and Horticultural Libraries. Goochland also houses Reynolds seed library. Parham is Reynolds most suburban campus, and offers students a large, light-filled space with plenty of desktop computers, multiple group study rooms. Parham is home to multiple special collections, including the Paralegal and ESL collection. Reynolds Libraries digital side-our library without walls—reaches distance students around the commonwealth, thanks in part to our VIVA membership. Remote access, eBooks and databases make location no barrier to education.
What is the most popular spot in the library for users?
- At all three campuses the group study rooms are incredibly popular. Students use them for both group and individual study, and they are always in use. We had over 13,000 students use the group study rooms in 2016-17.
Which VIVA resource or service do we value the most, and why?
- The EBSCOHost collection is essential. Our partnership with VIVA makes it possible for us to provide this high-quality resource for our students, a resource that they will continue to use after they transfer to a four-year university.
Want to see more beautiful libraries? Check out all of the member profiles on the VIVA site.
October is that perfect time of year to grab your bag of Halloween candy and popcorn, turn off the lights, and curl up in your favorite chair and blanket to watch some scary movies. Reynolds Libraries has got you covered. Our Kanopy database collection of streaming movies offers access to a wide variety of horror films including cult classics, indie horror, and spooky movies from around the world. Your Reynolds login is your movie ticket for accessing these films from off-campus. Pick your poison and let the film fright fest begin!